Call for Nominations and Proposals
Editor, Open-Access Journal [name tba]
Society for Social Studies of Science
The Publications Committee of the Society for Social Studies of Science solicits nominations and proposals for the position of Editor of a new 4S-sponsored open access journal, name TBA. The journal will publish peer-reviewed research, and there is the opportunity to develop other forms of scholarship for the journal, including but not limited to photo essays, debates, review essays, interviews, and conference reviews. This new journal offers an editor the opportunity to usher 4S and social studies of science into new forms of digital scholarship and shape the new modes of scholarly representation that it entails, while maintaining the high quality standards of scholarship for which 4S is known. We seek an editor who has deep respect for the peer-review publishing process and is eager to bring her or his reading, writing, and editing skills to the task of shaping the substance and presentation of diverse forms of scholarship in social studies of science.
Content will be organized into annual volumes, including work that represents the full range of 4S scholarship.
The Editor will be appointed for a 5-year term, which may be renewed.
The Editor should hold a secure position at an academic or research institution, demonstrate editorial or very closely related experience, have strong organizational skills, and have support from their home institution for editorial tasks. Editorial duties, selection procedures, and guidelines for institutional support can be found below.
Proposals are due by July 1, 2014.
We welcome preliminary nominations, including self-nominations, as soon as possible.
The formal proposal should include the potential editor’s qualifications for the position, a preliminary vision statement for the journal and potential associated digital publications, committed institutional support for editorial work, and any outstanding questions that might require iterative communications with the Publications Committee and its chair.
Selection Process: The Publications Committee will review all proposals, and make a recommendation to the 4S Council and Executive Committee. Results of the selection process will be communicated to proposers no later than September 15, 2014.
Questions about the process of selecting the editor(s), or the editorial duties involved, should be addressed to the Chair of the Publications Committee, Kelly Moore email@example.com or to Gary Downey, 4S President, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should be submitted to Kelly Moore in electronic form only. People from groups underrepresented in the Society for Social Studies of Science are strongly encouraged to apply.
4S Open Access Journal
- The normal term of editorship is five years.
- Assemble an Editorial Board that reflects the demographic and intellectual diversity of 4S.
- Publicize and solicit submissions for the journal in appropriate venues.
- With the 4S Publications subcommittee, Managing Editor, and potentially, with other input, shape the look, feel, and format of the journal, including types of intellectual material that will be represented. 4S seeks an editor with intellectual vision and commitment to high quality scholarship.
- Read and make decisions on new manuscripts in a timely manner. The number of new manuscripts varies, but the print version of Science, Technology and Human Values receives about 180 submissions per year (the initial years of the journal are likely to see fewer submissions). Once a manuscript is received, the editor selects multiple reviewers for each submission, and tracks reviewers to ensure timely reviews.
- With the Managing Editor, encourage authors to make use of the affordances of the digital platform, incorporating multi-media and born-digital content in their articles; further, solicit high-quality content in other genres of scholarly expression, such as but not limited to photo essays, debates, review essays, interviews, maps, and conference reviews.
- Assemble accepted articles and features for publication. The Managing Editor is responsible for ensuring that revisions are completed in a timely fashion, according to the Editor’s intellectual recommendations.
- Ensure that journal personnel are working well together.
- The Managing Editor will distribute and advertise the journal.
- Compile an Annual Report, to be submitted to the 4S Publications Committee, the 4S Council and the Executive Committee. The report should contain data on the number of submissions, number of publications, success rate per submission, average time from submission to decision, and include prospects for and concerns about the journal. The discussion of prospects and concerns should include input from the Editorial Board (see below, re: Editorial Board). A sample report is available upon request. This report will be due one month before the annual 4S meeting.
- Annually, solicit input from the Editorial Board regarding the journal’s content and format. This input should be included in the annual report.
- At the 4S Annual Meeting, meet with the Editorial Board to discuss issues before the journal; attend the Publications Committee Meeting of the 4S Council; and attend the full Executive Committee and Council Meeting.