Submitting items to 4S and Technoscience Updates
The monthly deadline for inclusion in the newsletter is the 15th.
Deadline: February 05 2018
Updated: November 15 2017Seven (7) post-doctoral positions are available at the Institute for Research and Innovation in Society. IFRIS (http://ifris.org/) welcomes science, technology and society scholars in all social science disciplines: history, sociology, political sciences, anthropology, economics, management sciences or law.
STS is understood in a broad sense of issues related to the production and use of science and technologies in societies. The post-doc candidates should propose original research projects on specific issues that relate to public health, biomedicine, agricultural sciences, food security, climate change, biodiversity, environmental questions, ICT, “big data” and internet, historical and social construction of technologies, risk and regulation, development and research policies, global distribution of knowledge, intellectual and property rights and global commons, circulation of knowledge, construction of public research policies, multilevel governance of science and technology, knowledge and local development, regimes of regulations and production of sciences and innovation in society.
See the list of projects funded by IFRIS to date (http://ifris.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2017/11/Post-doctorates-funded-by-IFRIS.pdf) for your information.
Selected candidates will be attached to one of the following IFRIS research units (name and acronym are followed by the scientific organisation to which the unit is attached). See the website links for more details on these units.
- Centre Alexandre Koyré (CAK - http://koyre.ehess.fr/), CNRS, EHESS, Muséum
- Centre Population et développement (CEPED - http://ceped.org/), IRD, Université Paris Descartes
- Centre d’Economie de Paris Nord (CEPN - https://www.univ-paris13.fr/Tout/cepn/), Université Paris 13, CNRS
- Centre de recherche médecine, sciences, santé, santé mentale, société (CERMES3 - http://www.cermes3.cnrs.fr/fr/), CNRS, INSERM, EHESS, Université Paris Descartes
- Histoire des Technosciences en Société (HT2S - http://technique-societe.cnam.fr/), CNAM
- Laboratoire Techniques, Territoires, Sociétés (LATTS - https://latts.fr/), UPEM, Ecole des Ponts, CNRS
- Laboratoire Interdisciplinaire pour la Sociologie Economique (LISE - http://lise-cnrs.cnam.fr/), CNAM
- Laboratoire Interdisciplinaire Sciences Innovations Sociétés (LISIS - http://umr-lisis.fr/), CNRS, ESIEE, INRA, UPEM Laboratoire Interdisciplinaire de Recherche en Science de l’Action (LIRSA - http://lirsa.cnam.fr/), CNAM
- Patrimoines locaux et gouvernance (PALOC - http://www.paloc.fr/index.php/en/), IRD, MNHN
Candidates do not need to have previous knowledge of these research groups. Nonetheless, it might be useful for them to consult their websites or take contacts that might help them designing their research project. Contacts can be made through the IFRIS Secretariat: rust[at]ifris.org
Selected candidates are eligible for a 24-month contract, under the French standard in relation to salary and work status. Contracts will start as soon as possible after selection, according to candidates’ previous obligations and engagements, and on January 1st, 2019 at the latest.
To be eligible, post-doc candidates should hold a Ph.D. or doctoral degree as on the date of December 15th, 2018 at the latest and should have already fulfilled all the obligations for the acquisition of their Ph.D. or doctoral degree. In case the candidate do not have their degree by the date of this submission, he/she should present a reference letter from their doctoral supervisor certifying that he/she will hold his/her Ph.D. or doctoral degree as on the date of December 15th, 2018 at the latest.
If an applicant is selected but does not meet the deadline – December 15th – to obtain his/her PhD, he/she will loose the benefit of his/her selection. Candidates cannot apply for a post-doc position within a research group where they have prepared their doctoral research work.
Candidates should fill out the online form by clicking on the following link and send their research proposals by February 5th, 2018, consisting of:
- A cover letter written by the candidate to indicate the way she/he believes her/ his project contributes to IFRIS research agenda. The candidate should indicate her/his former relations to IFRIS research units, in case they exist. Candidates are not requested to indicate in which IFRIS research unit they would like to be hosted, but nevertheless can do so.
- A one page Curriculum Vitae. The Vitae should indicate diplomas, trajectory, places and institutions where the candidate has worked and studied. Previous post-docs should be indicated in case there has been any.
- A research project (no more than 8 pages). The project should be written in English, including a plan of activities for the whole 24-month period and a tentative budget. The project should clearly state its objective, methodology, theoretical position, type and mode of collection of empirical material, research strategy, and expected outcomes. It should also indicate the type of expected production out of this period of time (workshops, book, articles, or any other envisioned material).
- A complete list of publications.
I- n case the candidate do not have their degree by the date of this submission, he/she should present a reference letter from their doctoral supervisor certifying that he/she will hold his/her Ph.D. or doctoral degree as on the date of December 15th, 2018 at the latest. For the French candidates, their viva report is also required (“rapport de soutenance”).
- Quality of the research project
- Relevance in relation to IFRIS agenda
- Potential of the topic to favour the integration of the candidate to the hosting research group
- Quality of the candidate’s academic and research trajectory
The application will be sent in one single file, pdf format, and should be saved under the following name:
Name_appelpostdoc_IFRIS.pdf (where “name” is the last name of the candidate)
To IFRIS Secretariat: rust[at]ifris.org
Deadline: February 5th, 2018. Successful candidates will be notified by May 30th, 2018.