Submitting items to 4S and Technoscience Updates
The monthly deadline for inclusion in the newsletter is the 7th.
Deadline: June 30 2017
Updated: June 13 2017The International Council for Science (ICSU) invites applications for the position of Director of its Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific which is hosted at the Academy of Sciences Malaysia (ASM), in Kuala Lumpur.
ICSU is a non-governmental organization with a global membership of national scientific bodies (122 Members, representing 142 countries) and International Scientific Unions (31 Members). ICSU’s mission is to strengthen international science for the benefit of society. To do this, ICSU mobilizes the knowledge and resources of the international science community to:
Identify and address major issues of importance to science and society.
- Facilitate interaction amongst scientists across all disciplines and from all countries.
- Promote the participation of all scientists—regardless of race, citizenship, language, political stance, or gender—in the international scientific endeavour.
- Provide independent, authoritative advice to stimulate constructive dialogue between the scientific community and governments, civil society, and the private sector.
The Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific is responsible for promoting and facilitating the increased participation of countries and scientific organizations of the region in the activities of ICSU and its Members. It also ensures that ICSU’s strategy and activities are responsive to the needs of the region and assists in strengthening science and scientific capacity building in Asia and the Pacific. The Office receives strategic and scientific guidance from the ICSU Regional Committee for Asia and the Pacific (RCAP). RCAP develops strategic plans and approves work plans for the Office. Members of the Regional Committee are nominated by ICSU National Members in the Asia and Pacific region.
The Director is responsible for the activities of the Regional Office under the direction of the ICSU Executive Director (based in Paris). The staff of the Office will consist of a total of three persons. The Director is appointed by ASM in collaboration with and approval by the ICSU Executive Board for a period of three (3) years from the date of appointment. The said appointment may, thereafter, be extended for a period as may be determined by the ICSU Executive Board and ASM.
ICSU is seeking candidates with the following:
Qualifications and knowledge
- A PhD degree in a scientific discipline (or equivalent experience)
- Proven experience in science management including experience in the organization and coordination of international inter-disciplinary and collaborative science initiatives
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Demonstrated ability to lead a small team
- Experience in fundraising for scientific activities
- Prior knowledge of ICSU and its major partners and of regional initiatives for science in the Asia and Pacific region would be an additional advantage
- Excellent skills in strategic planning, as well as financial and people management
- Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of project stakeholders, including researchers from a wide range of disciplines and backgrounds
- Strong intercultural awareness
The position requires frequent international travel.
Applicants are requested to send a curriculum vitae, cover letter and the contact details of three referees (all documents preferably in one combined PDF file) via e-mail, with “ROAP Director” in the subject line, to email@example.com. The cover letter should be addressed to Dr Heide Hackmann, Executive Director, and should demonstrate the fit between the candidate’s profile and the above description.
Applications should be received no later than 30 June 2017 (midnight, Paris time). It is expected that the Director will start his/her appointment in August 2017, or as soon as possible thereafter. This position is only open to citizens of countries of the Asia and Pacific region.
For more information on ICSU, please visit: http://www.icsu.org